If you’ve been thinking about renting a car through a peer-to-peer car sharing service or renting out your car to others to make some extra money, you’ve come to the right spot. Technology has made car sharing an easy and cost-effective alternative to traditional car rentals.
Learn more about what to expect when you rent or borrow a car through a car sharing app.
How Car Sharing Works
Many people are still new to how car sharing works. Similar to other “sharing economy” concepts like Lyft or Airbnb, peer-to-peer car sharing connects a person offering a service – in this case, a car – to a person who needs one. Car owners list their unused vehicles for rent via a car sharing platform. Drivers use the app to find a car that meets their needs and pay for the rental.
Car sharing comes with tons of benefits. For borrowers, the pricing you get by renting with a car sharing company is often cheaper than renting with a traditional rental car company. Companies like Avail prioritize honest pricing with no hidden fees.
For owners, you have a chance to earn money while renting your car out. With Avail, there are multiple ways you can earn:
- If you have a van, standard, or mid-size car you’ll receive up to $20/day
- If you have a large SUV, you’ll receive up to $25/day
Car Sharing Do’s and Don’ts for Owners
If you’re thinking about renting out your car to others through a car sharing service, here are a few do’s and don’ts:
- Do find a reputable car share company. Review its policies and find out what the company does to screen drivers. Check on insurance coverage and find out how it handles things like car damage, toll charges, or tickets received during the rental period.
- Don’t drop off a messy car. Some peer-to-peer car sharing companies offer a free car wash as part of the service. Still, you want to give the inside of your car — along with the trunk — a thorough cleaning before dropping it off.
- Do factor the cost and convenience of free parking into your plans. Love to travel? Don’t use your car every day? Great! Car sharing programs frequently include free parking while your car is listed for sharing.
Car Sharing Do’s and Don’ts for Borrowers
If you’re considering borrowing a car through a car sharing service, here are some dos and don’ts:
- Do take your time to find the right vehicle. One of the best parts of peer-to-peer car sharing is the variety of cars, vans, and SUVs available. Pick the one best suited for your travels.
- Do check if you’re under 25. Depending on the company, policies and charges will vary. However, no “under 25 fee” is charged with Avail – we are happy to rent to drivers who are at least 21.
- Don’t forget to be considerate. Review policies for using and returning the car, such as never smoking in the vehicle, keeping it clean, and ensuring it’s returned on time.
Is Avail Car Sharing Right for You?
Car sharing is an excellent option for people who need a convenient and cost-effective way to get around while traveling. For car owners, sharing your car is a great way to earn passive income when you aren’t using your vehicle.
Learn more about how Avail’s peer-to-peer car sharing works.