Road trips make for a fun, self-directed vacation, offering a great opportunity to explore new places, make memories, and enjoy the company of friends and family. But spending hours in the car can get boring on long stretches of road if you’re not prepared with a little entertainment. Save your sanity and bring along these fun questions to help pass the time on road trips.
30+ family-friendly fun road trip questions
Parents, if it’s not your first rodeo, you know that roadtripping with kids can be stressful. The scenery outside may be beautiful, but inside, the kids are asking, “Are we there yet?” more times than you can count. You need a backup plan to keep the kids entertained.
Be prepared with questions that you can ask to stimulate their thinking and distract them from the fact that you most definitely are not there yet. The questions below are all family friendly and can work for a variety of ages and stages. Spark interest and curiosity for the whole family by trying some of these while spending your day in the car:
- Who is your favorite superhero and why?
- What made you smile recently?
- If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
- If you were a parent for the day what would you do?
- What makes you smile?
- Who is your best friend and why?
- What makes a good friend?
- What is something fun we do together as a family?
- What is your favorite meal we make at home?
- Where do you want to live when you grow up?
- If you had to choose only 3 things to keep, what would they be?
- What song can you listen to over and over?
- What is your favorite thing about Mom? Dad? Sister/Brother?
- What animal do you relate to the most?
- What makes you the most proud?
- Name a hobby you want to try.
- If you could choose one place to live forever, where would it be?
- If you had $100 to spend, what would you buy?
- What is the best gift you’ve ever gotten?
- What do you fear about getting older?
- What would the perfect day be for you?
- If you could change your name, what would it be?
- What rule do you think makes no sense?
- If you could trade places with one person, who would it be?
- If you could have 3 wishes come true, what would you want?
- What is your favorite thing to do outside?
- If you could be invisible for the day, what would you do?
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Name something you wish you could be better at.
- What made you laugh recently?
- Where do you want to live when you grow up?
- If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
- When you grow up, what job do you want to have?
- Name a sport or activity you want to try and why.
- Who was your favorite teacher so far?
- Who is someone famous you want to meet?
30+ fun road trip questions to ask friends
Road tripping with close friends can be a fun way to spend some quality time together. You may be longtime friends, but get to know each other even better by preparing a few fun conversation starters like those below. These road trip questions for friends can work for most ages:
- What is your favorite thing to drink in the morning?
- What was your favorite TV show growing up?
- Where is the best place you’ve traveled?
- What is one place you want to travel to next?
- Tell me about one of your top accomplishments.
- Where did you go to high school?
- What is one favorite memory from elementary school?
- What was the neighborhood where you grew up like?
- Did you have a favorite pet growing up?
- Who were some of your friends in elementary school?
- What was your favorite thing to do after school?
- Did you play any sports or do other activities?
- What has been your worst date ever?
- What was something you loved to do with your parents?
- How do you take your coffee?
- What was the last movie you saw?
- What is your favorite fast food place?
- Do you stay up late or go to bed early?
- What is the last TV show you watched?
- What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
- Did you go to college?
- How did you meet your significant other?
- Do you speak another language?
- What was the last book you read?
- What is your favorite meal to cook?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Share your top 5 favorite bands or songs.
- If you could have dinner with 5 celebrities, who would they be?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- Would you rather climb a mountain or swim to the bottom of the ocean with sharks?
- What is one food you will never eat again?
- What was your favorite movie growing up?
- Did you ever sneak out of the house growing up?
- What was the worst trouble you ever got into?
Road trip tips
A road trip with family or friends is definitely something to look forward to. Here are a few tips to make your long drive go even smoother:
1. Plan your route in advance. This will help you avoid wasting time with unnecessary (or accidental) detours.
2. Make sure you have enough gas to get to the next gas station. Sounds obvious, but we’ve all been there!
3. Pack snacks and plenty of water.
4. Make sure you have enough money to cover gas and road trip snacks. Always bring a little cash with you too, just in case.
5. Plan some fun activities or stops along the way. These can help break up the trip and will give everyone different points of interest to look forward to.
6. Take along a phone charger and car adapter, if needed.
Be prepared with a reliable car
Before you head out on your road trip, make sure you are prepared for the adventure with a reliable vehicle. If Chicago or Denver are your road trip starting point, Avail car sharing has locations in neighborhoods around the city. Avail makes it easy to find the right vehicle for your trip and hit the road quickly. Every trip is protected by insurance coverage from Allstate and includes roadside assistance so you’re covered every step of the way.