Road trips make for a fun, self-directed vacation, offering a great opportunity to explore new places, make new memories and enjoy the company of friends and family. But spending hours in the car can get boring if you’re not prepared with games and entertainment. Save your sanity and bring along these fun road trip questions to help pass the hours on the open road.
36 road trip questions for families
Parents, if it’s not your first rodeo, you know that roadtripping with kids can be stressful. The scenery outside may be beautiful, but inside, the kids are asking, “Are we there yet?” more times than you can count. You need a backup plan to keep the kids entertained.
Be prepared with fun road trip questions that you can ask to stimulate their thinking and distract them from the fact that you most definitely are not there yet. The questions below are all family friendly and can work for a variety of ages and stages:
1. Who is your favorite superhero and why?
2. What made you smile recently?
3. If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
4. If you were the parent for a day, what would you do?
5. What makes you feel happy?
6. Who is your best friend and why?
7. What makes a good friend?
8. What’s something fun we do together as a family?
9. What’s your favorite meal we make at home?
10. Where do you want to live when you grow up?
11. If you could only keep three of your belongings, what would they be?
12. What song can you listen to over and over?
13. What’s your favorite thing about Mom? Dad? Sister/Brother?
14. What animal do you relate to the most?
15. What makes you the most proud?
16. What’s your favorite hobby?
17. What’s a hobby you want to try?
18. If you had $100 to spend, what would you buy?
19. What’s the best gift you’ve ever gotten?
20. What makes you scared about getting older?
21. What would the perfect day look like for you?
22. If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
23. What rule do you think makes no sense?
24. If you could trade places with one person, who would it be?
25. If you could have 3 wishes come true, what would they be?
26. What’s your favorite thing to do outside?
27. If you could be invisible for the day, what would you do?
28. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
29. What’s something you wish you could be better at?
30. What made you laugh recently?
31. What’s your favorite book?
32. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
33. What do you want to be when you grow up?
34. What’s your favorite sport to play and watch?
35. Who is your favorite teacher?
36. If you could meet a famous person, who would it be?
35 road trip questions for friends
Road tripping with close friends can be a fun way to spend some quality time together. You may be life-long friends, but you can get to know each other even better by preparing a few fun road trip questions like the examples below:
1. What’s your favorite thing to drink in the morning?
2. What’s your all-time favorite movie?
3. Where’s your favorite place you’ve traveled?
4. Where do you wan to travel next?
5. What’s your biggest accomplishment?
6. What’s your favorite joke?
7. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
8. What was your hometown like?
9. Do you believe in love at first sight?
10. Do you keep in touch with any friends from elementary school?
11. Did you play any sports or do other activities in high school?
12. What was your best date ever?
13. What was your worst date ever?
14. What was something you loved to do with your parents?
15. What’s the best thing you’ve ever eaten?
16. What was the last movie you saw?
17. What’s your favorite fast food place?
18. Who is your celebrity doppleganger?
19. What’s the last TV show you watched?
20. What’s the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
21. How did you pick your college?
22. How did you meet your significant other?
23. Do you speak another language?
24. What was the last book you read?
25. What’s your favorite meal to cook?
26. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
27. What is your favorite holiday?
28. What are your top 5 favorite bands or songs?
29. If you could have dinner with 5 celebrities, who would they be?
30. Who is your celebrity crush?
31. Would you rather climb a mountain or swim to the bottom of the ocean with sharks?
32. What’s one food you will never eat again?
33. What was your favorite movie growing up?
34. Did you ever sneak out of the house?
35. What’s the worst trouble you’ve ever gotten into?
6 road trip tips
A road trip with family or friends is definitely something to look forward to. Here are a few tips to make your long drive go even smoother:
1. Plan your route in advance. This will help you avoid wasting time with unnecessary (or accidental) detours.
2. Make sure you have enough gas to get to the next gas station. Sounds obvious, but we’ve all been there!
3. Pack plenty of snacks and plenty of water.
4. Make sure you have enough money to cover gas and road trip snacks. Always bring a little cash with you too, just in case.
5. Plan some fun activities or stops along the way. These can help break up the trip and will give everyone different points of interest to look forward to.
6. Take along a phone charger and car adapter, if needed.
Be prepared with a reliable car
Before you head out on your road trip, make sure you are prepared for the adventure with a reliable vehicle. If Chicago or Denver are your road trip starting point, Avail car sharing has locations in neighborhoods around the city. Avail makes it easy to find the right vehicle for your trip and hit the road quickly. Every trip is protected by insurance coverage from Allstate and includes roadside assistance so you’re covered every step of the way.