How to get the best deal on a rental car
Car rentals aren’t always easy when you consider the various choices and costs of renting a car. We’ve got some tips that can help you save money and snag the best deal for your next trip.
6 tips on getting the best rental car deal
- Shop around: If you’re wondering how much it is to rent a car, the price can vary widely. Not all car rental companies are created equal, so it pays to check multiple resources and track quotes from different companies.
- Book early: In most cases, car rental companies favor early bookers, so don’t wait until the last minute. You may end up with limited vehicle selections and higher rates due to increased demand.
- Read the fine print: Avoid standard price comparisons since they often don’t include hidden fees and charges. For example, if you're under 25, you might have to pay a daily “young driver” fee. There might also be additional costs if you plan to take your car on a long journey or if your car insurance isn’t sufficient.
- Use a credit card: If you use a debit card to rent a car, the rental agency may charge a security deposit in addition to your expected rental costs. While deposits on credit and debit cards are standard, these holds may not drop off your debit card for up to 20 days after you return the vehicle.
- Refuel before you return: If the car rental company has mileage rules and requires you to bring the car back with a full tank of gas, follow them or pay up to double the cost per gallon in extra charges.
- Consider car sharing with Avail: Car sharing allows car owners to make their vehicles available to people who need to borrow one. Car sharing companies aren’t responsible for buying and maintaining a fleet of cars. This means that they have less overhead and can pass along those savings to you. Sounds like a win-win!
The benefits of Avail car sharing
Avail is a car sharing service that connects people who have cars with people who need to borrow them.
Download the app today and start saving with these benefits:
- Honest pricing: No “gotcha” fees or surcharges. You pay upfront for your trip, so you know exactly how much you’re going to spend.
- Flexibility: Avail operates on the schedule of their car owners and borrowers. A last-minute trip doesn’t mean that you’ll be paying sky-high rental fees.
- Treating customers equally: We don’t discriminate against drivers under 25 or base rental approval, costs, or vehicle options on your credit score.
How to borrow a car from Avail
Borrowing a car from Avail is easy, but we do have requirements. You must be at least 21, have a valid driver’s license, and a clean driving record.
After you install the app, we have a short account setup process:
- Scan your license to confirm that you’re good to drive.
- Let us know where you’d like a car and when. Then, we’ll show you cars that meet your needs.
- Once you get into town, head over to the Avail lot.
- Check in and drive off with your car in minutes.
Every trip with Avail is protected by Allstate insurance and includes 24/7 roadside assistance.
Visit our website to complete your booking or learn more about car sharing with Avail.