Safety Tips For Traveling Alone
Solo travel is on the rise. In fact, according to a 2019 Travelzoo survey, 13% of respondents said they’ve embraced traveling alone, while almost half say they’ve traveled solo at least once. And what’s not to love about traveling alone? You get to go where you want, eat what you like, and meet new people, all on your own schedule.
Traveling alone can be intimidating. That’s why vetted car sharing programs like Avail can ease concerns about staying safe while traveling alone and still keeping your trip costs affordable. Here are some of our best tips for traveling solo.
Tips for Trip Safety When Traveling Alone
We’ve got step-by-step travel safety tips to make sure your solo vacation (or business trip!) is a stress-free experience:
- Share your travel itinerary with a trusted friend or family member who can keep tabs on your location.
- Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program if traveling internationally, so you can receive safety updates about your destination and so the U.S. State Department can find you in the event of an emergency.
- Line up secure and reliable transportation to the airport. Ideally, a friend or family member can drop you at your terminal. But even if you use a ride-share program like Lyft or Uber, you’re still pretty safe. These programs conduct driver background checks and allow you to share your ride information with a trusted friend.
- Choose a reliable rental car service at your destination. Avoid the discount brand rental agencies that often require you to travel many miles from the airport to pick up a vehicle or wait an unspecified period of time for a shuttle.
Consider a car sharing service like Avail for a safe, affordable car rental alternative without hidden fees or long lines. Avail offers the service of a traditional car rental agency without extra charges. Best part? All Avail vehicles are automatically covered by Allstate.
Tips for Personal Safety When Traveling Alone
Regardless of your chosen method of transportation for your trip, here are a few more tips to ensure your personal safety when traveling alone:
- Keep a list of local emergency services phone numbers at your destination. That way if you need help from the police or medical services or require assistance from the U.S. Embassy, you’ll know who to call.
- Conduct due diligence on lodgings at your destination to make sure your hotel or Airbnb is in a safe location with adequate security. Always lock valuables in a safe when you leave your room or rented house.
- Don’t overshare with strangers. Meeting new people when you travel solo is part of the fun, but be wary of sharing information on your lodgings or travel plans with people you don’t know.
- Store your passport, a photocopy of your passport, credit cards, and cash separately when traveling. That way, if you’re the victim of a pickpocket, you still have access to needed identification and money somewhere else.
- Select purses or bags with secure closure that cannot be opened easily, and consider a crossbody bag rather than a backpack to make it harder for a thief to nab personal items without your awareness.
When you borrow with Avail, you’ll avoid face-to-face interaction with vehicle owners and long lines to wait for a shuttle. When you’re ready to leave the airport, simply call Avail’s free shuttle service and they’ll be there to pick you up. Avail’s trained staff will provide you with a fully inspected, sanitized, and insured vehicle on arrival at the airport.
Learn More About Traveling Safely With Avail
Staying safe while traveling alone is really about being aware of your surroundings, noting suspicious behavior, and taking basic steps to protect yourself and your belongings. Ready to explore the benefits of car sharing as a solo traveler? Read more about how Avail keeps you safe when you’re traveling alone. Check out our car rental reservations in the city you’re planning to explore next.