- About Avail
- Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- Use Of Your Personal Information
- Avail Information Sharing
- Avail Community Information Use and Sharing
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Email Marketing and Other Notification Choices
- California Privacy Rights and Choices
- Social Media, Links, and External Sites
- Contact Us
Avail is the provider of a peer-to-peer car sharing platform that connects owners looking to share their car with individuals seeking to use a car for their individual transportation needs. To facilitate peer-to-peer car sharing, we collect personal information about you, your vehicle(s), and driving needs.
We work with many different companies to facilitate peer-to-peer car sharing including mobile application providers, insurance companies, payment processors, telecommunications providers, wireless service providers, emergency personnel, towing companies, vehicle manufacturers, distributors and dealers, equipment and software manufacturers, licensors, content providers, and any other providers of products, services, equipment, content, features or facilities in connection with our products and services.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT
Avail collects personal and non-personal information from and about you. Personal information is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked (directly or indirectly) with you. Other, non-personal information does not and cannot reveal an individual’s identity such as information that has been de-identified or aggregated. The information we collect varies based on what services you have with us.
We collect personal information about you in several ways and from several sources including:
- Directly from you: We and service providers working on our behalf collect information directly from you when you set up an account with us, use our mobile applications or websites including AvailCarSharing.com, AvailCommunities.com, and www.AvailAssist.com, respond to our emails create a reservation to borrow or lend a car, subscribe to our mailing list, or otherwise use our services.
- Automatically: We and service providers working on our behalf collect personal information from you automatically when you use one of our websites, mobile apps, view our emails or otherwise engage with us through a telematics device installed in a vehicle, a computer or mobile device (“Sites”) such as IP address, geolocation data, browsing history and other internet activity information.
- From third parties: We also collect personal information about you from third parties such as insurance companies, consumer reporting agencies, service providers, marketing companies and data providers including insurance claim and policy information or motor vehicle record information
- From other Avail customers: We may also collect information about you from other Avail customers to carry out necessary services and/or requests, including when a customer adds additional drivers. If other Avail customers give us your personal information or if you provide us personal information about others, we will only use the information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
- Information automatically collected from telematics devices installed in vehicles: Avail may collect information from the mobile application, your device’s GPS functionality, or telematics devices
The following personal information categories have been collected and shared for at least the past 12 months
|PERSONAL INFORMATION CATEGORIES||EXAMPLES|
|PERSONAL IDENTIFIERS||Name, alias, signature, postal address, phone number, date of birth, unique personal identifier, online identifier, email address, internet protocol (IP) address, state identification card number, account name, driver’s license number, or other similar identifiers.|
|PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS||Age, race, and sex (including gender, gender identity, or gender expression).|
|SERVICE-RELATED INFORMATION||Driving record, motor vehicle record information (violations or license status), insurance claim or policy information, credit information, services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies, bank account, credit card number or other payment or financial information. Owners may also provide us with vehicle-related information, such as VIN, collision history and diagnostic information.|
|BIOMETRICS AND MULTIMEDIA INFORMATIONS||Faceprint, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.|
|INTERNET OR OTHER ELECTRONIC NETWORK ACTIVITY INFORMATION||Browsing history, search history, information regarding your interaction with our websites, mobile application or advertisements, links you use or web pages you visit while visiting our websites or mobile applications, browser type, internet service provider (ISP) or mobile service provider, cookies, and mobile device information including device identifier or other information.|
|GEOLOCATION DATA||Physical location such as latitude and longitude of the vehicle, movements, or trip tracking information such as direction of travel and the time the information was recorded.|
|INFERENCES||Inferences drawn from any personal information collected to create a profile reflecting preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.|
Our website is not intended for children. We do not market any services to children under the age of thirteen or knowingly collect any information from children under the age of thirteen.
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your personal and other information for business purposes including to:
- Provide and maintain your services and accounts. We may use your personal information to provide or maintain your service and accounts, including to set up an account or service or provide an account or service, maintain your account, complete a transaction, or respond to, investigate, and resolve customer service requests, issues, complaints, or other inquiries.
- Improve, develop, and analyze our Sites and services. We use your personal information and other information to:
- analyze, improve, develop, and offer new and existing services, products, features and models, using algorithms, analytics software, and other similar methods,
- analyze how visitors use our Sites, improve, develop, or deliver our Sites and enhance and personalize your experience on our Sites. Some of the information used for these purposes is collected using analytics software, cookies, and other tracking technologies (see Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies below for more information), and
- conduct research studies to maintain, develop or protect our services, customers, and networks.
For use of personal information for model development and analytics, we make reasonable efforts to use anonymized or de-identified information where possible.
- Communicate with you about your service or account. We may use your personal information to communicate with you about our service or your account, to send you notices about your transactions, to send you service and support messages including reminders, updates, and alerts and to contact you via a voice call, text message (SMS), email message or other available methods such as push notifications.
- Provide marketing communications. We may use your personal information to send you promotional communications about services, features, and options we believe may interest you. We may send communications via e-mail, regular mail or may send push notifications via a mobile device. We may also use your information to serve you ads or customized content online.
- Comply with legal requirements and protect the safety and security of our business, services, and Sites. We may use your personal information to comply with laws, regulations, or other legal obligations, to assist in an investigation, to protect and defend our rights and property or the rights of third parties or enforce terms and conditions. We may also use your personal information to prevent suspected fraud, threats to our network or other illegal activities, prevent misuse of our products or services, or for any other reason permitted by law. We may use your personal information to protect our company, our affiliates, our customers, our network, and our Sites.
- Update or correct our records. We may receive personal information about you from other sources, including publicly available databases or third parties from whom we have purchased data, and combine that personal information with other personal information we have about you to update our records. For example, we may obtain change of address information from public sources and use that personal information to update or correct your address
- Protect our vehicles. We may use your personal information to protect our vehicles and ensure timely returns. Please note that the owner of the vehicle may also have the capability to track the location and use of the vehicle through means the owner controls; Avail does not facilitate that collection of or have access to the location information.
- Provide insurance benefits. As a component of our services, Avail may provide you with certain insurance benefits provided by third-party insurers, including Avail’s corporate affiliate Allstate Insurance Company. We may use personal information to make predictions about people, or to categorize them into particular groups (e.g., risk categories) to offer insurance. If insurance is offered, Avail may share your personal information with the third-party insurer for their insurance related purposes in accordance with their privacy notices. Allstate’s privacy statement can be found at https://www.allstate.com/privacy.
We may also share your personal or other information with service providers and other third parties for business purposes or as required or permitted by law including with:
- Service providers: Personal information may be shared with service providers who perform services on our behalf for a business purpose including service providers that:
- help complete transactions, handle a claim, service your account,
- conduct driver’s license verifications,
- engage in credit reporting or payment processing,
- provide marketing and advertising, email, or other communication services,
- provide services that support our online activities including providing tracking technologies, web hosting and analytics,
- provide tax and accounting, legal services, delivery, and data enhancement services
- provide technology services and enhance security, privacy, and fraud protections,
- provide data analytics services or conduct research, and
- provide support to our operations.
- Third parties at your direction and as part of car sharing in Avail Communities. We may share personal information about you with third parties whenever you consent to or direct such sharing such as to receive towing and repair services. In addition, for Avail Community members who are looking to share their car with other members, we may share your personal information to the other party in that transaction as reasonably necessary to facilitate the transaction, as per the AvailCommunity terms and conditions. For example, we may provide contact information to facilitate communication, your photograph for identification or the address of the vehicle and/or the proposed delivery location.
- Marketing and advertising partners: We may share personal and other information with third party online and other marketing and advertising partners or permit these partners to collect personal information from you directly on our Sites to personalize online advertising. The Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies section below has more details about these activities.
- Third parties in connection with a business transaction: Personal information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a merger, sale of any or all our company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by an affiliate or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
- Law enforcement, regulators, and other parties for legal reasons: Personal information may be disclosed to third parties, as required by law or subpoena, or if we reasonably believe such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law and the reasonable requests of regulators, law enforcement or other public authorities,
- protect our or others safety, rights, or property, and
- investigate fraud or to protect the security or integrity of our Sites or any services.
We share the following categories of personal information with the following parties:
|CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION||CATEGORIES OF THIRD PARTIES|
|PERSONAL IDENTIFIERS||Service providers; Marketing and advertising partners; Third parties involved in a business transaction; Law enforcement or regulators|
|PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS||Service providers; Marketing and advertising partners; Third parties involved in a business transaction; Law enforcement or regulators|
|SERVICE-RELATED INFORMATION||Service providers; Marketing and advertising partners; Third parties involved in a business transaction; Law enforcement or regulators|
|BIOMETRICS AND MULTIMEDIA INFORMATIONS||Service providers; Law enforcement or regulators|
|INTERNET OR OTHER ELECTRONIC NETWORK ACTIVITY INFORMATION||Service providers; Marketing and advertising partners; Law enforcement or regulators|
|GEOLOCATION DATA||Companies involved in insurance and other business transactions; Service providers; Third parties involved in a business transaction; Law enforcement or regulators|
|INFERENCES||Companies involved in insurance and other business transactions; Service providers; Marketing and advertising partners; Third parties involved in a business transaction; Law enforcement or regulators|
AVAIL COMMUNITY INFORMATION USE AND SHARING
If you are permitted to join an Avail Community, you may create a personal owner and/or borrower profile accessible by Avail and other Avail Community members. Your profile includes personal information, such as your user ID/name associated with your account and your public profile photo. Owner’s profiles include information about where your car is located for pickup, the listing description, vehicle availability, and transaction related information to allow other Avail Community members to evaluate your reliability and responsiveness including reviews and feedback. This profile information will be available to access and search by other members in the Avail Community.
In addition, Avail Community members involved in a booking with you may send you messages through the Avail Community platform, for example, to confirm pickup or delivery location. If you send a message to an Avail Community member, your name, profile picture and message content be shared with that member.
COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
Technologies and Information Collected: When you visit our Sites, we and our service providers automatically collect information about your use of and access to these Sites. We collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, Flash objects, web beacons (also called pixel tags), embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). Information we collect automatically about you may be combined with other personal information we collect directly. The information collected in this manner includes:
- The website from where you accessed the Site, where you went to when you left the Site, how frequently you visit the Sites, when and whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, pages you visit on our Sites, the links you click and ads you view, or your location when you access our Sites,
- Information about the computer, tablet, smartphone, or other device you use, such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type/model/manufacturer, operating system, date and time stamp, a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device, or your account (including, e.g., a persistent device identifier or an AdID), and other similar information,
- Analytics information collected by us or via third party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Sites and to understand more about the demographics and behaviors of our users, and
- How often you use a mobile app, from where the app was downloaded, events that occur within the app, aggregated usage, and performance data.
Use of the information: The information collected through tracking technologies allows us to provide you with an improved, enhanced, and personalized customer experience, to monitor and improve our Sites and for other internal purposes such as:
- Remembering information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Sites,
- Provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content, communications, and advertising,
- Identify and contact you across multiple devices,
- Provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Sites,
- Perform analytics and detect usage patterns on our Sites,
- Diagnose or fix technology problems,
- Detect or prevent fraud or other harmful activities, and
- Otherwise, to plan for and enhance our Sites
click here. To access and use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, click here. To learn more about VWO’s privacy practices, click here. To opt-out of VWO, click here.
Your choices regarding cookies: If you prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to manage cookies in your browser settings to disable or block cookies, remove existing cookies, automatically accept cookies or to notify you when you receive a cookie. Options available may vary by browser. However, if you disable, modify, or reject cookies, some parts or functionalities of our Site may be inaccessible or not function properly. For example, disabling cookies may require you to repeatedly enter information to take advantage of services or promotions.
Opting out of online personalized advertising and do not track: We or our marketing and advertising service providers may use information about your activities on our Sites or other websites, to help tailor our advertisements or offers to what may interest you— also called interest-based advertising. The information is collected using the tracking technologies explained above.
Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies (but note we may work with companies that do not participate in these programs):
You may continue to see generic or non-targeted ads about our services if you opt-out of interest-based advertising. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are currently not able to respond to “Do Not Track” signals from your browser.
Our service providers include Google and VWO. To learn more about Google’s privacy practices,
EMAIL MARKETING AND OTHER NOTIFICATION CHOICES
We may send you email marketing communications about features and services that may be of interest to you. To opt out from receiving marketing and promotional emails from us, please send us a request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or click the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of each communication. If you opt out from receiving marketing emails, we may still send you non-marketing emails such as emails about your account or services, responses to your requests and inquiries, or notices of updates to terms and conditions or our privacy practices.
If you use the mobile app, you can also manage email and other notifications and marketing preferences via Notifications in the Profile and Settings link. You may also limit receipt of mobile app push notifications by disabling push notifications within the mobile app.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS AND CHOICES
California residents have certain rights to access and delete personal information described in this section, and other rights described below.
Verified Requests: To protect you and your personal information, we will only respond to access or deletion requests that we have been able to properly verify through our authentication processes. To verify your identity, you will be asked to provide several pieces of personal information, such as name and demographic information, which we only use to verify your identity or authority to make the request.
Submitting a Request: To submit an access or deletion request, please click here to submit an online request or call us at 1-800-582-3416. Responses to a verified request may take up to 45 calendar days, or longer depending on the nature of the request. If additional time is needed, we will notify you of the additional time. We may only respond to two access requests within a 12-month period. Requests from authorized agents must be submitted via the same online portal or toll-free number but to protect your privacy, consumers will be required to verify their identity directly with us via our online portal or toll-free number.
Right to Access Your Personal Information: You have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve months including:
- the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you,
- the categories of personal information collected,
- the categories of sources from which personal information was collected,
- the business purpose for collecting the personal information, and
- the categories of third parties with whom we share personal information.
Right to Deletion of Personal Information: You have the right to request we delete personal information we collected. We will delete your personal information in response to a verifiable request unless needed to:
- Complete a transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you,
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities,
- Debug services to identify or repair errors that impair functionality,
- Exercise free speech ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law,
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us,
- Comply with a legal obligation, or
- Otherwise use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
Non-Discrimination Rights: You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of your California privacy rights. Specific Information Related to Users in California
California Residents: California law permits its residents to request and receive information about a business’ disclosure of certain categories of personal information to other companies for their use indirect marketing. If you are a California resident and user of our website, products, or services, you can request a copy of this information from Avail.See the “Contact Us” section for contact information. Please include your name and email address in email requests, and your name and postal address in mail requests.
|Metrics: 2021 Access My Data Requests for California Residents||Quantity|
|Number of Requests Received||0|
|Number of Requests Complied with in whole or in part||0|
|Number of Requests Denied*||0|
|Average Days to Complete a Request||0|
|*Avail may have been unable to authenticate the requestor.|
|Metrics: 2021 Delete My Data Requests for California Residents||Quantity|
|Number of Requests Received||0|
|Number of Requests Complied with in whole or in part||0|
|Number of Requests Denied*||0|
|Average Days to Complete a Request||0|
|*Avail may have been unable to authenticate the requestor or delete personal information because it is needed for legitimate business purposes. These business purposes are explained in our Privacy Statement.|
SOCIAL MEDIA, LINKS AND EXTERNAL SITES
Protecting your personal information is important to us. We use a combination of reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. However, no website, mobile application, database, or system is completely secure or“hacker proof.” So, we cannot guarantee absolute security. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
We limit access to your personal information to those who need it to do their jobs. We comply with all applicable federal and state data security laws.
If you should have questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please contact us at privacy@Availcarsharing.com, or by mail at Avail, Attn: Operational Risk Manager, 222W Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 875, Chicago, IL 60654.